Written by: Shae Bagrosky and Taylor Horrell
Written February 1st, 2023
THON Weekend is fast approaching! Here are a few essentials and tips to know before the weekend get here:
For THON Committee Members:
- Bring snacks and a reusable water bottle! You are going to get tired and a quick granola bar and a few sips of water can go a long way in keeping up your energy. It is a long weekend so make sure to take care of yourself!
- Wear comfy shoes and layers! You are going to be on your feet a lot, so a good pair of shoes is essential. Layers are also important because it is February and quite cold outside, but the BJC will be warm inside.
- Bring a clear bag and an empty fanny pack! The BJC permits a single one-gallon Ziploc bag per person. Then an empty fanny pack will be allowed THON weekend, which can then be carried around with you as you are working.
- A few self-care things! Some gum/mints, dry shampoo, hand sanitizer, and even a fresh pair of socks can go a long way to make you feel refreshed during your long working shifts THON weekend.
- A few extras! A portable charger and something to pull long hair back out of your face are just a few more things that are strongly recommended for all CMs THON weekend.
A few tips leading up to and during THON weekend:
- Make sure to get as much sleep as possible leading up to the weekend! There are not a ton of opportunities to sleep, so getting as much sleep as you can beforehand will help you to make it through the weekend.
- Get all your work through Sunday February 19th before the weekend starts! After such a long weekend, you are not going to want to go home and do any kind of homework.
- Make sure to dress comfortably! You are going to be doing a lot of moving around, so make sure to be comfortable in whatever it is you decide to wear.
- Drink lots of water! The best way to feel tired faster is a lack of hydration. Make sure to always keep your water bottle full.
- Elevate your feet! Your feet are going to be super tired and elevating them will help to alleviate the exhaustion. If you can’t elevate them, sitting down for a minute will also help.
Some things that are needed for THON Weekend that you can bring from home:
- Bubbles! These are a big hit with the kids and can easily be carried around in your fanny pack.
- Tennis balls, beach balls, and footballs! These make great toys for all the kids to play with while they are there.
- Balloons! Having a few balloons floating around THON weekend makes for a very fun atmosphere and the kids love them.
- Water guns! Who doesn’t like playing around with water guns?