As COVID-19 continues to be prevalent in our community, THON has continued to take measures to ensure the safety of all families, dancers, spectators, and volunteers who will join us in person during THON Weekend. In collaboration with Penn State University Student Affairs, Division of Development and Alumni Relations, and the Covid Operations Control Center, THON will be implementing the following mitigation efforts for THON Weekend 2022.
As previously announced, all Penn State students and employees wishing to access the event level (floor), or mezzanine will be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19. All families, spectators, volunteers, and dancers will be required to be masked at all times, regardless of vaccination status, in accordance with University guidelines. Only Four Diamonds families whose children are not on active treatment will be able to attend THON Weekend in person. Any case-by-case decisions require written consent from their treatment provider.
Additionally, all individuals entering the BJC ages 2 and older will be required to show either proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or proof of negative COVID-19 test performed on Wednesday, 2/16/22 or later.
All dancers and THON Committee Volunteers will also be required to provide proof of negative COVID-19 test dated Wednesday 2/16/22 or later in addition to being vaccinated as previously announced. Additional information will be sent directly to dancers and volunteers.
For spectators who are fully vaccinated
- Fully vaccinated spectators are required to show the following prior to entry at the BJC:
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
- Acceptable forms of proof of vaccination include physical vaccine card or image of vaccine card (Students who uploaded this can access an image in MyUHS).
- Photo ID matching the name on the vaccination card
- Picture of photo ID will not be accepted
- A booster dose is not needed to meet this requirement but is strongly encouraged for those who are eligible to receive a booster dose.
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
For spectators who are not fully vaccinated
Spectators who are not fully vaccinated will be required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test performed on 2/16 or later prior to entry. Please read on for testing details pertaining to the following groups:
Penn State Students and Employees
- Penn State students and employees in need of a test may test at the White Building testing center.
- General Student and Employee Spectators and Entrance Plan Student Spectators are asked to test on Friday, 2/18, in order to maintain normal operations of White Building.
- Students and employees who receive a negative test at White Building and intend to attend THON Weekend will be given their entrance wristband at White Building.
- Students and employees will need to wait for their results at White in order to receive an entrance wristband.
- Students and employees who have negative test results from a medical provider or official testing center should follow the instructions provided for individuals who are not current students or employees.
- The White Building testing center will have the following extended hours:
- 9am-8pm W-F 2/16-2/18
- 9am-5pm Saturday 2/19
- Penn State students and employees who are required to test weekly and intend to attend THON Weekend are encouraged to receive their weekly test 2/16 or later.
Individuals who are not current students or employees
- Individuals with negative test results and a photo ID must report to the Visitors’ Center to have their results verified prior to going to the Bryce Jordan Center.
- Valid test results must be from a medical provider or official testing center and must include patient name, patient date of birth, type of test performed, provider name, collection date, result date, and result.
- Test results must be dated 2/16 or later
- Test results may be in the form of an email shown on your mobile device or a printout of the results.
- Self-administered, at-home rapid tests will not be accepted.
- Limited testing will be available at the Visitors’ Center for Four Diamond families and extenuating circumstances. Testing availability is not guaranteed.
- A wristband for entrance to the BJC will be provided upon proof of negative test.
- Visitors’ Center Hours:
- 2pm-8pm Friday, 2/18
- 9am-5pm Saturday, 2/19
- 8am-12pm (or when BJC capacity is reached) Sunday, 2/20
- No test verification will be available outside of these hours.
- The Visitors’ Center is located at the corner of E. Park Avenue and Porter Road.
Masking will be required by all individuals in the Bryce Jordan Center for the entirety of THON Weekend 2022. University masking guidance can be found here.
These additional requirements are increasingly important for THON Weekend given the sustained nature of the event and the desire to ensure that our Four Diamonds families, as well as our spectators, dancers, and volunteers, are able to participate in a safe experience.
This plan was created with the help of Penn State Vice President for Student Affairs, Damon Sims, who shares, “The THON leadership has faced unique challenges this year and has met each of them with unique skill, commitment, and good sense. I am often heartened by the passion and purpose THON’s leaders feel toward the families they serve, but this year I am awed by their ability to gracefully combine their hearts with their minds to make difficult choices and produced a plan that serves the interests of all.”
We understand and appreciate that not all individuals will feel comfortable attending THON Weekend in person. Anyone who does not feel comfortable attending in person is welcome and encouraged to join us virtually at THON.org/livestream for an engaging and interactive livestream experience.
We believe that with these protocols we can hold the safest possible THON Weekend 2022. We are thrilled to be joining together in person in the fight against childhood cancer once again. However, we must all do our part to create a safe environment for all. We thank you in advance for your cooperation as we work to return safely to an in-person event.
Please visit our FAQs here.